Hello,
As I read all these great articles and comments, I was struck by a thought. Don't worry it didn't hurt...much. Anyway with libraries trying to be Green and many going for LEED Certification (A type of Green Library Certification http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Libraries#LEED )
is there an environmental aspect to e-books verses printed? And I found a number of articles one of them at http://www.ecolibris.net/ebooks.asp Its interesting even some stats. Also here's another one:
http://www.enviro-news.com/news/ebooks_better_for_environment_than_printed_books.html
Short answer is yes they are considered by many to be more environmentally friendly. There are a number of factors that determine a libraries connection to ebooks, its patrons first, things like its budget, staff ability, etc and perhaps this? I did find an interesting website by the American Library Association for a task force dedicated to environmental concerns http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/rts/srrt/tfoe/taskforceenvironment.cfm
Very interesting reading, it looks like environmental concern could be a factor. How much of one I expect depends on the library and its circumstances. Any thoughts? Please feel free to use the comment button below.
As always your milage may vary,
Read On,
Christina Doane
No comments:
Post a Comment